Thursday 12 August 2010

Jewish Papercuts

This summer I spent some time in Kraków, Poland and specifically in the old Jewish neighborhood of Kazimierz. It was a great and very informative time and I only regret it didn't last longer. We ate delicious Jewish specialties and listened to live concerts of klezmer bands.

But I think the greatest discovery I made was Jewish Papercut art. Turns out this form of art is very popular in the Jewish culture and has been so since XIV century. The paper cuts usually have religious or historical theme. The designs are incredibly intricate and often colorful. I am totally in love with the artistry. The following illustrations come from the book by Marta Gołąb.












See more amazing works here.

1 comment:

  1. This is really amazing! So filligran...
    Greetings from Germany,
    Mellie

    ReplyDelete